Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Falcon has started blogging

Welcome to my world! I'm not sure if I'm coming early to this blogging game or late. I'm not sure if this is going to be a day by day thing or not. And I'm not sure what I will really be blogging on. You can count on some Economics, some Liberty, some policy, some China, some New York, some life, some food, some drink, some friends, some sports, some music, some stuff. Either way, I'd like to start off with some appreciation for the way things work....

I'm currently reading many books, one of which is Murray Rothbard's 'For A New Liberty'. In it he writes,

It so happens that the free-market economy, and the specialization and division of labor it implies, is by far the most productive form of economy known to man, and has been responsible for industrialization and for the modern economy on which civilization has been built. This is a fortunate result of the free market, but it is not, to the libertarian, the prime reason for his support of this system. That prime reason is moral and is rooted in the natural-rights defense of private property we have developed above. Even if a society of despotism and systematic invastion of rights could be shown to be more productive than what Adam Smith called "the system of natural liberty," the libertarian would support this system. Fortunately, as in so many other areas, the utilitarian and the moral, natural rights and general prosperity, go hand in hand.

That's cool. As you may know, I'm a big proponent of personal choice and liberty. I also so happen to be a big fan of prosperity. Life would be pretty interesting if liberty and prosperity were an "either/or" proposition. "You can be free, but you will be poor." Or, "you will be enslaved, but you'll have riches." Luckily, I believe (and apparently so does Rothbard), that the two go 'hand in hand'. How ever this world was designed and came to be, I think it's a beautiful thing that we can both be free and prosperous.

Enjoy your day and I hope you will continue to check in with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment