Monday, February 23, 2009

How's this for an idea....

Ok, I think drugs should be legal. I think that I think that all of them should be legal. In the words of Milton Friedman,
"I don't think the State has any more right to tell me what to put in my mouth then it has to tell me what can come out of my mouth. Those two are essentially the same thing—and they both are essential elements of freedom."
It's been documented how much money is wasted on the 'War on Drugs', the money that is wasted on prison inmates guilty of drug related offenses, and also, and more importantly, the lives lost trying to enforce this law. (Sorry, I'm not in the mood to go find the 'documents').

Anyways, here is the idea: Make drugs legal, but take away that right in jail. Think of the incentives put in play here. Drugs are legal: ok, great. But when you are in jail, drugs are no longer legal. That's a HUGE incentive to stay out of jail. 

In our current society, if I steal a TV with a gun, that's armed robbery. I am going to jail. Sure, I lose personal freedoms, but I couldn't legally get high outside of jail (and I can still manage to get high inside of jail). It might not be as easy to get illegally high inside of jail versus outside of it, but I can still do it.

On the flip side, if I can smoke some dope legally; I am going to think twice about stealing that TV with my gun. I don't want to do a shot in the can when it will be tremendously more difficult to score some drugs.


No comments:

Post a Comment